Friday, November 11, 2011

"We Held the Day..."

I have been trying to find a way to succinctly convey my feelings toward Veterans Day. Distinguishing my dismay for the conflicts in which our nation is currently involved and the respect and empathy for the men and women who serve in the armed forces is difficult. So instead of some tired diatribe, I have chosen to let the chillingly beautiful work of Billy Joel do the talking.




Joel wrote this song as a tribute to the friends and fellow soldiers he lost in Vietnam.

Happy Veterans day. Remember those who have fallen with fondness, regardless of what you think of the conflicts, whether past and present.

~CW

2 comments:

  1. this is such a wonderful, powerful, sad song. do you know anything about this performance? are the men who sing during the chorus vietnam vets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Vietnam veterans. Evidently Joel would commonly ask veterans to accompany him on this song during concerts.

    I had tears in my eyes while listening to this song on Friday. Incredibly powerful.

    ReplyDelete