Friday, January 11, 2013

Stories from the Street - Chicago Homeless Audio Project

For the past several weeks, I've been talking to some of the homeless people I pass on the Chicago streets  as I drive to and from work. The stories I've heard are brief and fascinating and offer insight into a much different world than most who reading these essays know. The project is still rather amorphous, so it will be interesting to see how the next few episodes evolve, depending on who I speak to and the stories I hear.


The Chicago Homeless Audio Project,
Episode 1:The introduction

I've already started working on the next episode, and would appreciate any feedback, story ideas, and contributions from anyone who cares to contribute.

~CW

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant work -- the last interview made me genuinely uncomfortable (which, I think, was the point). Really good and interesting stuff.

    One thing that I would like to know--why do you think the homeless population is so eager to share their story? And why are the narratives so similar? If you walked up to any rando in Chicago and gave them a dollar for their story, you would either get a cold shoulder or something random about their life. But homeless people are very quick to share, and what they tell you seems to almost always concern how they got to be homeless in the first place. Why is this?

    Anyway, just my thoughts... again, really terrific, great insight. This is really valuable work I think, and will do a lot of good.

    ReplyDelete