Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Seasonal Affect

It's cold. For those of you who are not in in the Midwest, take my word for it.

My car thermometer read a balmy one degree Fahrenheit this morning as I mad my way out of the parking lot. I backed into the alley and, as I shifted into drive to begin my commute, continued to slide backwards. No matter how much my tires protested the backwards motion, I continued to move in reverse. After a few failed attempts to gain yardage, I opted to work with the forces of physics. As I backed down the alley, I hoped no one would come out of their garages and see me creeping down the lane in reverse. Once I reached the street, I was able to continue my journey facing the proper direction.

I've spoken to many people over the last month who've all made similar claims about this inclement iciness.

The weather puts me in a foul mood.”

I'm tired of being cold all the time!”

It gets too dark too early.”

I can't feel my fingers.”

My father, a born and bred Iowan, even left last week for the warmer climes of Houston Texas. This ardent opposition to winter got me thinking about seasonal affect disorder, a psychological disorder that has come to my attention in the last few years. Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say about SAD:

“Seasonal affective disorder (also called SAD) is a type of depression that occurs at the same time every year. If you're like most people with seasonal affective disorder, your symptoms start in the fall and may continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody. Less often, seasonal affective disorder causes depression in the spring or early summer.”

Definition taken from www.Mayoclinic.com

From this idea, I started creating a person that not only experienced mood swings or lethargy during the winter months, but was so brought down by the drabness of the snow and slush, that he actually detached from reality. The only thing that kept him attached to some semblance of this world was a woman he loved. I don't know if her love was reciprocated, or if she even knew of his existence, but his belief in her attachment is what keeps him tethered to reality, if ever so slightly.

As our disconnected character wanders through life, he gets lost in the monochromatic gray, misplacing the horizon and falling off the sidewalk, into the ashen ether. He is brought back to earth by a prescription, but whether that medicinal solution in actually a productive addition to his life is questionable.

I don't know where this character goes from here. The story may continue with another song, or essay, or some other medium. But for now, it's just seasonal affect.



Seasonal Affect


Drive around the town I don't know where to go
Stare at twinkling lights, amid the falling snow

I don't know
Lets run away
I don't know
Let's run away

Together

Frustrated with all this madness
Curtsy the world insincere gladness

I don't know who
Lets get away
I don't know who
Let's get away

Together

The land the sea the sky they fade to gray
Unsure of where to step, of what's terrain

I don't know who this life is for
Let's float away
I don't know who I am any more
Let's float away

Together

The frozen ground it falls away beneath my feet
Barren tree tops they shrink away in this retreat

I don't know anything for sure
Let's fly away
I don't know where to find the floor
Let's fly away

Together

The pastel doctors reign me in prescribing rope
Tie me to a lamppost in the park force-feed me hope

I don't what to do any more
Let's break away
I don't what I'm fighting for
Let's break away

Together

Greeting cards wish peace on earth good will towards men
speak to me in foreign tongues and unfamiliar pen

I don't know who you are anymore
Let's fade away
I don't know how I've come so far
Let's fade away

Together



No comments:

Post a Comment